Get results from all the best sites!

Electronic Cigarette Producer in Talks With Airline

Posted January 16, 2009 by Jaklien van Melick

Supersmoker Remember the days when you could still light up mid-flight? It is hard to imagine this now that smoking is banned in so many public places, but yes, cigarettes used to be allowed on planes. For the nonsmoker this was pure torture; trying to get some shut-eye while the passenger in the row behind you was happily puffing away. Or having to hold your breath while the guy across the aisle was sucking on a cigar. Sure, there were smoking and nonsmoking sections, but when does smoke ever stay where it should?

But what about those nicotine junkies who have to chain-smoke right before boarding a flight and then wait for up to 18 hours for the next fag. (For the airline nerds among you: Yes, this would have been on Singapore Airlines from Singapore to JFK.) Some people are willing to risk the embarrassment of being fined and arrested. I mean, just recently, Amy Winehouse couldn’t even refrain from smoking on a flight that lasted only one hour and felt the need to sneak off to the lavatory three times. However, I've got some good news for all you ciggie addicts out there.

SuperSmoker, the company that introduced the electronic cigarette in the U.K. last year, is now in talks with an unnamed airline to allow its handy-dandy devices on flights. The fake fag is battery operated and apparently looks like a real cigarette, even tastes like a real cigarette, but without the smelly smoke. It contains a cylinder with a nicotine liquid that evaporates when the cigarette is lit. Even the tip lights up when you take a drag. Just like the real deal. So no more elbowing your way out of the plane and out of the terminal to suck in that precious fix of tar and nicotine after landing, because you could be smoking the SuperSmoker onboard soon. If you don’t mind looking just a tad bit ridiculous sucking on a plastic stick, that is.

(Photo: Primera Riecker)

Users are solely responsible for the content of the comments posted. Comments are subject to the terms and conditions and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of bookingbuddy.co.uk. Bookingbuddy.co.uk does not control or endorse the content, messages or information posted.

Reader Comments

This is a great break through if it actually happens. I for one would be very impressed. As an ex smoker who use these a lot to replace my cravings when i cant smoke.

Any chance of an update on this?

Posted on January 26, 2009 at 02:34 PM by electronic cigarette

I will let you know as soon as I hear more about this.

Posted on February 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM by Jaklien van Melick

Check out this site because they have this new 84mm real size size that helped me quit after 22 years. They sell for charity and have these for 50% to 75% off. Check out the newest model at
be-smoke-free.com

Posted on February 28, 2009 at 01:47 AM by Frances Boyde

These should be banned on airlines. If you can't fly for a couple of hours without smoking, you've got a problem.

Posted on March 28, 2009 at 09:05 PM by David Michaels

Mr Michaels, you need to further educate yourself on the technology prior to making snap responses. this product uses the same technology as an asthma inhaler and effect the surroundings in no way whatsoever. the only way you would know it was occuring would be to watching it directly. it has no bearing on you or your health. your comment was tantamount to me saying you need to urinate prior to your flight, if you cant hold it for an hour you have a problem.
My body, my business, doesnt impact you whatsoever.

Posted on May 18, 2009 at 09:47 AM by Brian j

I think electronic cigarette smoking should be allowed in planes worldwide, it does not create second hand smoke and therefore their is no risk for any health hazard.

Posted on July 26, 2009 at 03:21 PM by Adam- electronic cigarette

Why is manufacturer talking to the airline?
If I understand correctly, the device is allowed on board by default, simply because it is not banned explicitly.

Posted on February 08, 2010 at 06:34 AM by Dmitry Kolosov

I agree with Adam, they should allow the electronic smoke on planes it does not cause harm to other passengers and doesnt smell bad either.

Posted on February 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM by corel rapidshare

Indoor air quality testing shows more allergens and microbial contaminants located in buildings, homes and confined spaces like planes and trains, then exhaled from an electronic cigarette. Vapor production from an electronic cigarette does not contain these allergens or contaminentsas there is no breeding ground for this to happen. For those of you who are misled by false information in the press, please have facts correct before assuming anything. The name electronic cigarette is given to make these more appealing to smokers. If they are referred to nicotine vaporizers or personal vaporizers, there would be less misinformation. Remember, the tax dollars, prescriptions and quit smoking gums, patches etc. stand to lose alot of money. I personally feel so strongly about this product that I spent the last year testing and developing to make this more accessible to the public
www.cilini.com

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM by Dr Paul Herman

Great Article, this has me excited to get on a plane and start vaping!

Posted on March 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM by Electronic Cigarette Fan

Oyr family gets together for all the holidays. One year I switch up on everyone and we did a progressive dinner. It was wonderful, everyone took part in it. Everyone should try it at least once. We did it for Thanksgiving! You can break it up in amny diffrent ways. Our first house we had a prayer and a toast it was wonderful I would do it again and I know my family would do it again, but I would have to do the planning. And that is just fine.

Posted on May 01, 2010 at 07:36 AM by Whistler Flights

But... Many people are amazed with the electronic cigarette is because it is odorless. This allows them to smoke anywhere, and many people have been taking advantage of this is in no-smoking zones that have bans in effect. Bars, restaurants, offices, and airports are just a few of the places that the electronic cigarette has been welcomingly accepted and widely used.

Posted on July 12, 2010 at 07:10 AM by Electronic Cigarettes

Even if it doesn't smell like real cigarette, is it good for the health?

Posted on November 23, 2010 at 03:15 AM by Cheap Ticket Air Fares

Unfortunately, I think that similar to folks that are allergic to peanuts, the few who are allergic to propylene glycol will keep e cigarettes from ever being "officially" approved for use on the major airlines. Hopefully not, but I think that's what will occur.

Posted on November 23, 2010 at 07:48 AM by Electronic Cigarette Review

I personally havent ever smoked but my friend stopped smoking recently.

I have always thought that you ought to be able to smoke without the nasty side effects and i think these electric cigarettes are the answer.
if you think these devices are fake then look at them on

Posted on December 15, 2010 at 06:15 PM by sean Jay

Even if the airlines agree to allow electronic cigarettes on board, the govts will legislate them out as they are in the pockets of Big Tobacco. Also there is no tax revenue from e-cigs.

Posted on March 01, 2011 at 04:44 PM by smokefree electronic cigarettes.com

easy jet does not allow electronic's on their planes as I found out yesterday coming home from cyprus. as they do not "smoke" but steam only i would love to be able to use them on a 4 our flight + 3 hours at gatwick

Posted on December 04, 2011 at 11:00 AM by james smith

To make everyone happy, there should be a separate area for passengers who smoke. If it can be made in the buildings then it can also be made on planes.

Posted on January 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM by newport cigarettes

The comments to this entry are closed.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Electronic Cigarette Producer in Talks With Airline:

rss rss